Friday, February 18, 2011

Writer's Block


"There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein."

~Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith

       What if my veins collapse every time I try to bleed myself dry on my keyboard? What if I can’t describe the balding camouflage pattern on Monica’s dog for life of me? What if I can’t think of what comes next?
            When I write, I don’t know what’s coming next. I’m living the story with the characters and I just let the words erupt from my fingertips as they dance across the keyboard, or paper, or wall, or whatever is handy. My characters are me living an ideal version of my life in my imagination and I just watch over their shoulders and make notes like an obnoxious journalist.  I don’t decide what comes next, they do! I feel like God, I created them, but they can make their own decisions and I just have to watch as they send their life either to Heaven or Hell. But when I sit down and nothing comes out I can’t make myself force it so I sit there with creators block. When I force the words I’m interfering with the story and I might as well kill the characters and their whole little world because it isn’t my story to write it’s their lives!

~Elise (stay gold!)

P.S. I’m sorry about some of my word choices, I am in a passionate mood and they are all used in the proper context so don’t you go and judge me by thinking I’m some kind of derelict or something!